Thursday, December 10, 2009

What helped me learn in this class?

I think more than any technical prowess, I've learned that the definition of "literature" is a lot more fluid than I had expected. I thought this class would be focusing on graphic novels or comic writing of some kind, and I was pleasantly surprised.

At times, I felt as if the readings detracted from what I was trying to get at - I didn't always feel that they aided in my writings or projects - at the same time, I know it's important to know the history of the genre we're studying, but it felt like too much all at once.

I really wish I had more technical time with flash. At the end, I wasn't even able to finish my project because of the coding. I feel like there needs to be a point in the semester - before the short project - where the focus shifts to technical instruction. It's frustrating to know what you want to do, know that the software is capable to complete what that is but have no way of actually doing it. I know that we aren't going to leave here experts, but I feel that we should know how to incorporate video without running into problems, and that we should know how to incorporate interactivity.

Maybe having a Flash handbook or something for this class would be helpful - I used the online source a lot, but frankly, I never could quite find what I was looking for. Perhaps if there were tutorials of what we learned in class on our course website that would help - many times I could not recall all the steps of a technical move, and if it is referenced in class, it should be on our course website as a lecture in terms we can understand.

I just feel like I was limited by what I knew how to do - I got frustrated not because I did not have ideas or vision, but because I could not do what was necessary to complete my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment